Wednesday, December 16, 2009

me and my Dad setup

Well, i have last promised about writing about my home HIFi setup in my Home place. So here it is for me to share with you what i m enjoying when i go back home.

This is my old home setup

I went through a lot in my home setup, we started with sound stage pre and power amps bought from Tong Lee many years ago. Since then there many improvements done on the system and tonnes of money spent on improving sound so that the satisfaction is guarantee. Lately in 2009 we purchase or my dad purchased, "with my help" a set of Audio Research LS7 line stage preamp and D200 mosfet power amp. Speakers and cables were from the previous setup. We have a Wire World Orbit 5 speaker cable and a Audio Quest CV4. For interconnects are Tranparent audio Wave 100, and Wireworld Polaris 5. These were the previous upgrade to improve my old slow Sound stage power amp with only 12 watt output, We had the preamp tuned up with solent Caps by tong lee, and a improves Philips 6922 tubes.
Jamo Speakers

We were running Kef Cresta 1 and upgraded to Kef Coda 70, which is in Kl with me, and mean while purchased a Jamo Concert V along the way, The Jamo was a great buy, Due to the lack of power, we never really enjoyed the capabilities of this speaker. But today, we are really showing the colours of this wonderful pair of Jamo V. Back view of how we connect the speakers

Jamo is well known for its beat, It comes with 3 drivers, 1 tweeter, 1 mids and 1 woofer firing at the back, it has a bass reflex port in the front, Rated power at 110W this speaker really sings when you push it with a very good, amp.Bass is some how sometimes depeding on the music, Overwhelming, some dont like, i personally feel hmm, cannot say, i love its beat but some bass are kind of annoying. Depending on the track,..but i have some sponge to sumbat the bass reflex port if the music is too much bass,
Thats how i tune it down, the other way, i did was to delay the bass using my audio quest CV4 cable.
More front view

Talking about music reproduction. Since the day of the ARC, the Jamo performed in a way that when you listen to any music it just sound so nice. From the bassy Chai Ching, to classical Music full symphony or Just simple plain Violin and Piano combination, it just sound so real and so lively. When the violin pulls a note, you can feel the different tone from hard to soft. Its with feeling.. Piano on the other hand performes in a way i have never enjoyed before. Its very musical. I just love how the tweeter handles the high frequencies with no problems. In my setup, you expect transient, speed and great dynamics in live music. Performance come to live. I lack live recording cd, thats probably what i need to get more in next future cd buying in KL av fest.
At the moment my test discs has always been Manger test CD, Fourplay, Kitaro, DEli Rum, Sister drums 2,Andrea Bocelli, Ein StraussFest, Cincinati Pops, Chai Ching, Timber TIS, And plenty more to mention. Cd collection just dont run out. I also tests Roy Orbinson, and retro music like Led Zepplin, Zucherro. Cant remember all of them.

My room isnt a great room to listen, not square but kind of rectangle. Bass is mainly an issue in my room but i had learn some tips and tricks around to help it, so now im in a mission to improve it even better. Back part, connection of Wire world Orbit 5 and Audio Quest CV4

Partly most of my music i listened to are mainly everything under the roof. What ever i can get i pop into it. i believe in neutrality of a system, I dont limit myself to only one kind of genre.
I listen pop, rock, classical , vocal , beat drums. anything, just to listen how it performs.
more pictures on my ARC


Back part of the old connections.
I dont have good power conditioning, so i will op to improve that as well, now im just using a smple PK voltage regulator, but since then i had tonnes of power cord improved the system. From MIT to DIY power cords,

New setup placement,
When i showed my setup pictures to plenty of HiFI Gurus, they tell me my old setup is floating, by just looking at the pictures.
The preamp and power amp is just a little too high. so the sound is floating. hmm, after listening it is kind of true, the vocals are sometime not focus. Floating it seems. So i was advised to place the power amp and preamp at a lower level which you can see the new setup.
After placing the amps lower, the CD player i put a weight on top of it, Sound is more solid, vocals dont move so much anymore. 3d Imaging is very much more placed with different distance.

As i was test Ikhark Perlman, I think it spell it wrongly, anyway, the new place ment has change a little compare to the previous setup, same dynamics and transient, because the there is no change to equipment, but better staging and better vocal focus.
Next tuning is to get some granite for the base of the speaker, see if the bass tightens up.
Well, thats how it looks like, but of course, every persons setup, like KL audio doctors one, has a REL stratus handling the bass. thats very very different. Mine is from the speakers, but i think im missing something compare to his setup. His is awsome. Mine is not bad either, Of course there is no competition, but which you prefer and how KL audio doctors setup sounds like. We all tune to what our liking and how can our system performs as its best on the music that we listen to. My dad always tell me, what is there to improve, i feel this setup is so nice already, anyway whats the fun if we are all stuck with what we have and not improving it. Maybe next time we can have more things to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment